Brief History of Burgess Hill’s Pubs
Fred Avery - May 2014
Originally known as the “Red Lion” dates back
to about 1780. It was a stopping place on the London to
Brighton road for mail and stage coaches and close to the annual “Sheep
Fair” - a famous event held at least as early as
1342 until 1912. The façade was rebuilt in the 1930s.
It closed on 3rd April 2012 and was finally demolished
mid September 2013.
Burgess Hill Inn (also known as the “Top House”)
Originally known as the “Anchor” dates back
to 1840, John Agate was the first landlord and was also
with his own forge in Junction Road which was demolished
many years ago. The front has been rebuilt and extended.
Originally known as the “Brickmakers Arms” about
1840, until a small brewery was established in the rear garden
about 1870, and the name then changed. The façade
was rebuilt in 1928 to give a more modern appearance.
Established next to James “Meeds” potteries in
1856, was owned by the Brighton brewers “Hallett and
Abbey”. A small boundary stone is still visible on
a brick pier with the initials JM/H&A.
- The Railway (Tavern)
Dates back to about 1850 and established as a small hotel.
Several meetings of local societies were held there,
including many inaugural meetings. Several refurbishments
place and a side extension recently added.
Was established in the mid 1850s and probably named after
the game of cricket played in the adjacent field, now
a recreation ground. An amateur boxing club was founded
in 1938, associated with Sidney West to whom the former
Boxing Hall was dedicated in 1956.
- The Windmill
Was established in the mid 1850s and named after St. John’s
windmill, a post mill off Mill Road built in 1796 and dismantled
in 1916. The brick roundhouse was demolished in the 1950s
to make way for a housing development.
- The Watermill
Was established in the late 1850s and named after “Valebridge” water
mill demolished several years ago, after a fire destroyed
the floor and roof timbers. It serves the area known as “Worlds
End” a name that dates back to 1840 and the railway “navvies”.
Was built to serve the ever expanding
population on the western side of the town. Named after
the Sussex Weald or “wooded area”. The
town has over the years been extended to include a
estate which adds to the popularity of this venue. Dame
Anna Neagle visited on its opening day, 16th November
- The Woolpack
Was opened in 1988 and developed from an attractive interior
of exposed timbers by incorporating some of the original
18th century “West End Farmhouse” into the
project. Also preserved near the premises is a large
duck pond which visitors find to be an added attraction.The
pond was drained and prepared for new wildlife in January
Formally known as “The Magpie” and built
in the early 1800s was much used by old time smugglers
and a well
known meeting place for huntsmen many years ago. This venue
is set in the countryside on the outskirts of Burgess Hill
with a large separate garden area.
- The Oak Barn
Cuckfield Road was constructed from a large barn and opened
in 2001 with an interior of several exposed
timbers. The barn at Bridge Hall
was extended to incorporate an attractive dining room
with adjacent lounge. A driving range for golfers
also two putting greens, and a 9 hole golf course all established
Originally “Hamptons” a large furniture shop
for over a century. In the late autumn of 1997 the “Hogshead” pub/restaurant
had been converted from the old premises and opened in
November. A decade after, the premises were refurbished
and re-named “Jacob’s
Post”, which relates to Jacob Harris, whose tragic
deed was commemorated with a post of oak surmounted by
an iron rooster dated 1734, once situated near to the “Royal
Oak” public house on Ditchling Common.
Built next to the railway crossing and branch
junction to Lewes and Eastbourne
c.1850, and was popular with
railway workers and brick & tile
makers from the works nearby.
It was demolished
after a fire
interior and roof, on the 11th May 2010.
Acorn (A Premier Inn)
Opened in the spring of 2010
on the Victoria Industrial Estate, and caters mainly
for business people and those
employed on the industrial estate.
Six Gold Martlets (J.D.Wetherspoon)
two adjacent retail shops in Church Walk costing £1.4
million and catering for shoppers and visitors to the
town centre, opened on 29th April 2014.
Built about 1854 ( and named after a
ship that sank off Spithead in the Solent ) at the
London Road / Royal George
Road crossroads. for a short period it was renamed "Georgies",
but soon went back to its original name. The building
was demolished at the end of 2002, and a block of
occupy the site.