Publications:

Burgess Hill,
by H Matthews, 1989

Burgess Hill Past & Present,
by F M Avery, 1984

Burgess Hill in Old Picture Postcards,
by F M Avery, Volume 1 1988

Burgess Hill in Old Picture Postcards,
by F M Avery, Volume 2 2001 

Development of Burgess Hill and its Potteries (1828-1978),
by F M Avery 1979 (limited circulation)

Church of St. John the Evangelist Monumental Inscriptions,
compiled by R E Powell, 1983

St. John's Chapel Monumental Inscriptions,
compiled by R E Powell, 1983

"A Very Improving Neighbourhood" Burgess Hill 1840-1914 (occasional paper no. 23),
edited by B Short 1984

The Place Names & Early Topography of Burgess Hill,
by H M Warne B A Sussex Archaelogical Collections (1985) 127-143

The Keymer Tile Works,
by F M Avery, Sussex Industrial History Issue No. 30 (2000) 29-31

Emily Temple: A Burgess Hill benefactress
(occasional paper no. 1)

  The Burgess Hill Local History Society have published in 2005 a small booklet about Emily Temple who was an early benefactress of our town although is little known. Born in the early years of the nineteenth century she became a successful woman in what was then a man's world. Madame Temple, as she like d to be called, came to live in Burgess Hill building St. John's House for herself. Later she built five villas in Upper St John's Road, five pairs of semi-detached villas in Lower Church Road and the St John's Institute (now Park Centre). Madame Temple also gave generously to the poor and gave 6 1/2 acres of land to the towns people (now known as St. Johns Park) for recreation.

Norman and Burt: Local builders of renown
(occasional paper no. 2) published 2007

  In 1862, Simeon Norman started a building business, and later formed a partnership with his brother in law, Henry Burt. The firm soon expanded and eventually undertook Church restoration work employing their expert wood carvers and stonemasons. The business finally closed in 1974, but most of their archives went to the West Sussex Record Office at Chichester.

A History of Keymer Tile Works
(occasional paper no. 3) published 2011

  Sampson Copestake, a merchant banker, bought Cants and Inholmes farms and in 1875 leased part of Cants farm to Henry Johnson who started making bricks and tiles. The Works thrived until 1884, when a fire was accidentally started by three boys, which burnt down the entire Works. After a short time the Works were taken over by new management, and apart from a short period during the war, have been working continuously until they ceased production in August 2014 and closed in December 2014.

 

TOP

 
 
 
 
 
©2004-16 Burgess Hill Museum
Designed by:- David Avery